Monday 21 May 2012

BUMBLEBEE RESCUE!

Just a short blog this time as I am flat out with orders at the moment and there do not seem to be enough hours in the day! I found this small female bee (female bees have bent antennae so I was able to identify!)on the floor of the conservatory, very weak and not moving. I made up a sugar solution (50:50 water and sugar) and put a teaspoonful on the floor in front of her - if bees are weak like this it is probably because they are exhausted and need a bit of a battery recharge to get them on their way again - sugar solution is great for this! The bee immediately began sucking the water up through her proboscis, which you can clearly see in the photo. She then rested about ten minutes, drank some more, rested about five minutes and then took to the air and buzzed off out the door, full of energy again!

I felt very pleased with my good deed!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story and brilliant picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear your story. I have also helped various bees in this way, and it is indeed very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete